Call: 1-818-310-6107 | Email:

Follow Us:

Work Permit (Employment Authorization)

Work Permit (Employment Authorization)

A work permit is a photo identity card issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It is also called an Employment Authorization Document or EAD. The EAD looks a lot like a driver’s license. Its holders can show it to employers in order to prove their right to work.


Certain foreign nationals who are temporarily in the United States may file Form I-765 to obtain an employment authorization (EAD).


Other immigrants who are authorized to work in the United States without restrictions should also use this form to apply for a document evidencing such authorization to the Department of Immigration.

Who doesn’t need to separately apply for a work permit?


All green card holders automatically have permission to work. They simply need to show their green card to employers.


Immigrants who go on to become U.S. Citizens.


Foreign nationals who have obtained work-based visas, which have been sponsored by U.S. employers, are also eligible to work in the United States. For example, such visas might include an H-1B (for specialty workers), an L-1 visa (for intracompany transferees), an E-3 visa (only for Australians), or an E treaty trader or treaty investor visa (for employees of companies registered as treaty traders or treaty investors in the United States).


Who may apply for a work permit (EAD)?


You may be eligible for a work permit if you meet the following requirements:


  • Asylee/Refugee and their spouses and children
  • Citizens of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, or Palau
  • A person who has Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
  • F-1 Student seeking Off-Campus employment due to financial hardship
  • J-2 Spouse or minor child of an exchange visitor
  • M-1 Student seeking practical training after completing studies
  • Spouse of an E-2 CNMI Investor
  • Deferred Action beneficiaries
  • K-1 Fiance Visa Holders
  • People with a pending application for Adjustment of Status
  • Beneficiaries of Visa U, T, or B
  • Victim of Severe Form of Trafficking
  • Victim of Domestic Violence

For more details and inquiry please don’t hesitate to contact us